Almond flour has long been used in baking because of its many useful properties. In recent years, it has become very important because it is completely free of gluten. If you are going on a grain free diet but do not want to give up on your favorite desserts and sweet snacks, almond flour is your best friend. Almond flour cookies are tasty, delicious and very easy to make. However, there are a number of things that you should keep in mind.
- Though it is completely free of gluten and starch, almond flour contains a high proportion of fat. Be warned that it contains much more fat than wheat cookies. A quarter cup of the flour has 160 calories and 14 grams of fat. So, if you are on a diet, go easy on the almond flour cookies. However, it also contains plenty of vitamins and minerals.
- Use the fine ground blanched flour for making almond flour cookies because they are easy to use and can be baked quickly. For this, you need to check the labels. There are very good quality of almond flour available online which is used for baking. If you end up using coarse grained flour, your cookie may turn out to be too oily, flat or grainy or heavy. Sometimes, it may say fine flour on the label, but it is still coarser than what the recipe requires. It may work fine for you, but you can try ordering online once and see the difference that it makes.
- There is no gluten or starch in almond flour. This means, eggs are generally added as a binding agent. There are egg free cookie recipes, but they are not very common.
- It is best not to use almond flour in a cookie recipe that is done with wheat. The reason is that wheat flour cannot be substituted in a 1: 1 ratio by almond flour. Wheat flour can often absorb more water, but if you use the same amount of water for almond flour, your mixture will be soggy or runny. So, use almond flour in recipes that specifically mentions it instead of substituting it in a wheat flour recipe. Or you can use the substitute if you do not mind a few baking failures.
- You can add flavor to your cookies made of almond flour by adding and experimenting with different ingredients. If you are not starch intolerance, you can add a little yeast to your cookies and muffins. Banana essence, coconut oil, maple syrup, chocolate chips and many others can be added to make an array of tasty cookies using almond flour and the ingredient of your choice.
- Be specific while buying the almond flour for your cookies. Check the recipe and buy the exact ingredient that they are asking for. It is much cheaper to buy the almond flour online.
So, search out the tasty cookie recipes on the internet, buy the proper almond flour and cook delicious grain free cookies to enjoy!